Undergraduate Major in Statistics
Complete the following courses with a grade of C- or better
Common Course Prerequisite Coursework: http://undergrad1.its.fsu.edu/academic_guide/guide-display.php?program=statistics (please see advisor for equivalent course selection).
Required Courses in Math Department (12 credit hours)
- MAC 2311 Calculus with Analytical Geometry 1 (Prerequisites: MAC1114 Analytic Trigonometry & MAC1140 Precalculus Algebra OR Precalculus Algebra/Analytic Trigonometry MAC1147 (Credit by Examination))
- MAC 2312 Calculus with Analytical Geometry 2
- MAS 3105 Applied Linear Algebra
Required Courses in Statistics (6 credit hours)
- STA 3024 SAS for Data and Statistical Analyses
(Course completes computer competency requirement)
Complete one of the two following courses:
- STA 4321 Introduction to Mathematical Statistics
- STA 4442 Introductory Probability I
Statistics Elective Courses (15 credit hours)
15 more hours of statistics courses numbered at the 3000 level or higher are required. There is ample latitude in the timetable to include more than seven statistics courses, if desired.
If anticipating graduate study, the following courses are highly recommended:
- MGF 3301 Introduction to Advanced Mathematics
- MAA 4226 Advanced Calculus 1
- MAA 4227 Advanced Calculus 2
Minor or Second Major
Students majoring in Statistics must also complete a minor in either a departmental or interdepartmental field approved by the College of Arts and Sciences. The requirements for a minor are determined by the department in which the minor is taken. Minors typically require 12-18 hours of credit. Students with a Second Major do not need to complete a minor unless they desire to do so.