ASA Council of Chapters Traveling Course
11/4/2020, 9:30am-12:30pm, online via Zoom (link will be provided)
The Department of Statistics at Florida State University will host a half-day data science workshop online on November 4th via Zoom. This workshop is supported through the American Statistical Association (ASA) and the Florida Chapter of the ASA.
Overview of Course:
- Shiny is an R package that makes it easy to build interactive web apps straight from R. You can host standalone apps on a webpage or embed them in R Markdown documents or build dashboards. This short course will introduce you to the basics of building web applications with Shiny, essentials of reactive programming, and how to customize and deploy your apps for others to use.
- We will use RStudio Cloud to access R, however as a backup, we recommend that you have the latest versions of R, RStudio, and the shiny package installed on your computers.
Instructor: Mine Çetinkaya-Rundel, University of Edinburgh and RStudio
Mine Çetinkaya-Rundel is Senior Lecturer in the School of Mathematics at University of Edinburgh and Data Scientist and Professional Educator at RStudio. She is on leave from her Associate Professor of the Practice position at the Department of Statistical Science at Duke University. Mine’s work focuses on innovation in statistics and data science pedagogy, with an emphasis on computing, reproducible research, student-centered learning, and open-source education as well as pedagogical approaches for enhancing retention of women and under-represented minorities in STEM. Mine works on integrating computation into the undergraduate statistics curriculum, using reproducible research methodologies and analysis of real and complex datasets. She also organizes ASA DataFest, an annual two-day competition in which teams of undergraduate students work to reveal insights into a rich and complex data set. Mine works on the OpenIntro project, whose mission is to make educational products that are free, transparent, and lower barriers to education. As part of this project she co-authored three open-source introductory statistics textbooks. She is also the creator and maintainer of datasciencebox.org and she teaches the popular Statistics with R MOOC on Coursera.
- Getting started
- Understanding reactivity
- Designing user interfaces
- Building dashboards
|Category||Early (by 10/24)||Regular (between 10/25 and 10/31)|
Member of the ASA Florida Chapter will receive a $8 discount.
To register for Shiny Essentials, follow this Link.
- Wei Wu at email@example.com
- James Stricherz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Statistics
Florida State University